Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Postmortem: Thanksgiving Turkey Tower Toss #IndiesVSPewDiePie



Thanksgiving Turkey Tower Toss was the game I made for the 72 hour Indies VS PewDiePie game jam at Game Jolt. Here are the good, the bad, and the ugly that came out of it.

Time Management: Even though I was relatively more busy that weekend, I did get a good chunk of the time I did have to make the game. Unfortunately, I did waste some time here and there, and sometimes, I think I spent too long testing. I only divided my tasks effectively halfway through the 72 hours.

Game Design: A (light) physics-based was a bit of a gamble, but i think it paid off in originality. What didn't make it in the game jam version was the Garden Gnome Carnage mode I really wanted to put. That will come to the post-competition version. I really should have focused more on designing and implementing the level generation, and designing the enemies. The Thanksgiving theme was the only one I could think of. Planning this game was better off than my previous games, thus the level of finish that it has, but not by much. The achievements was almost an afterthought, but made the gameplay substantial.

Gameplay: The gameplay was a lot better than my previous jam games and a bit more intuitive, too, using only arrow keys and Space. I also had my best final boss (in the form of a mecha PewDiePie) coded, with missiles and a machine gun. I plan to do a whole game with just bosses and complex enemies, because they are so interesting. The GCC component did not get in, yet. The SSB style to eliminate enemies didn't seem as compelling to me. Will have to change that. 

Sounds: After this jam, I now believe sound effects can make or break a game. I had a lot of sound effects and music. Since I didn't get to collaborate with anyone, I used random music generators and voiced my own sound effects using Audacity. I don't regret using 

Graphics: Graphics should have been a bit bigger. Or at least zoomed in enough to see the details. I did get some auto-tiling done, which made the game so much better to look at. I don't think anyone could tell those were Pilgrims, because they were so small!

Overall, it was better planned and better implemented than my previous jam games. And I think it's the only jam game I want to really expand further.

No comments:

Post a Comment